Friday 15 April 2011

Cliveden and I

Chantelle Haywood one of my closest friends celebrated her 21st back in Feburary. She kibdly invited me to have lunch at Cliveden.
Cliveden Manor is a place i know well. As i live close by when growing it up the gardens and walks were a place my parents took us several times. I say it is the place where my love for Manor houses started.

Here is a little history from the website on Cliveden Manor just for those who wish to know...

The History of Cliveden

"The first house was built in 1666 by the 2nd Duke of Buckingham. A notorious rake, schemer and wit, he created Cliveden as a hunting lodge where he could entertain his friends and mistress. Since then it has twice been destroyed by fire, only to emerge, phoenix-like, more stunning than before. The house has played host to virtually every British Monarch since George I and has been home to three Dukes, an Earl and Frederick Prince of Wales.

Queen Victoria, a frequent guest, was not amused in 1893 when the house was bought by William Waldorf Astor, America’s richest citizen. When he gave it to his son and daughter-in-law in 1906 Cliveden became the hub of a hectic social whirl where guests included everyone from Charlie Chaplin to Winston Churchill, and President Roosevelt to George Bernard Shaw.

Harold Macmillan, another frequent guest, when told that the house was eventually to become a hotel, remarked “My dear boy, it always has been.” The tradition of impeccable hospitality and extravagant entertainment continues to make any stay at Cliveden the experience of a lifetime.

Stephen Ward and Christine Keeler were staying in Spring Cottage when they triggered the infamous Profumo scandal. So, even the cottage is not without its share of colourful Cliveden history."
From Clivedenestate National trust homes website 2011


As mentioned before this House was apart of my childhood. I  have spent many a sundays as a child being dragged around, sent on walks, sitting in the cafe and spending hours looking at the famous flower beds! I however always dreamed of being a lady of the house, being waited on, served devine food and just being able to enjoy the beautiful splender of the house itself.



A few years ago for my sisters hen day My mum, sister and i spent the day at the Cliveden spa. This was lovely. Waited on hand and foot, massaged, bath and munched on some pretty yummy lunch.A little bit of my dream, being within the grounds as a customer and closer to living the dream.



This was what i thought would be the only and last time i would experience the lifestyle that went with attending Cliveden Manor (without being a national trust visitor)

A few summers later while working with a Nannying I had a few Jobs at Cliveden Manor hotel. This was my chance to enter inside the house. Although not how i had originally dreamt of i was in and part of somones Amzing wedding day at a apsolute dream reception location! As i drove up the drive i imaged driving up dropping my car off to the footman outside as i was to enter and be served a delightlful meal. However this wasnt to be ... i was the one looking after the guests and only to look upon the bride and groon take part in there stunning wedding and the visitors sit back and enjoy an amazing 4 course meal.

Febuary 2011

I recieved an invitation from Miss Chonnie Haywood a very delightful, close, amazing friend of mine..

"Lucy i was wondering if you would like to celebrate my 21st birthday me my family and I at Cliveden Manor for sunday lunch"

WOULD I?
 The excitemen hit me, i was to sit down in Cliveden and have a 4 course meal, with a lovely family. The planning of the alfit began.

As i drove up the drive i felt like somone special...



The meal was as i excpected. Very " Cliveden" Elegant in every way possible . It was a meal i wont forget and now when i take my children round Cliveden house i can tell them how i used to walk around the ground, work in the house, went to the spa and finally got served a delightful meal celebrating a special friends 21st birthday

Mwah 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment